San Marzano - Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria 2016

San Marzano

Sessantanni Primitivo di Manduria D.O.P. 2016

Puglia, Italia

This nectar is a 100% Primitivo from very old vines (60+ years) planted in the rural areas of Sava and San Marzano, in the province of Taranto. The very ripe grapes are manually harvested in the second half of September. The maceration takes place for 18 days on 80% of the mass and for 25 days on the remaining 20%. Fermentation takes place at a controlled temperature of 24-26 °C. Then the divine juice ages in French and American oak barriques for 12 months. Salute!

Appearance

The wine has a ruby color. The intensity is deep.

Nose

The aroma intensity is pronounced. The nostrils are bewitched by rich fragrances of ripe blackberry and black cherry, followed by hints bramble and jam. The secondaries remember spices as the vanilla, cloves, cinnamon and a fine cedar. The tertiaries include leather and dry fruits.

Palate

In the mouth, the wine is dry with medium level of acidity and medium tannins. The alcohol is high (i.e. 14,5 %), but well tamed. On the palate, the wine is an explosion of ripe black fruits, including fig, plum and black cherry. The aromatic palette in enriched by opulent hints of raisin, candid fruits, thyme and black pepper. The secondary notes remember the vanilla, cloves, chocolate, and coffee. The intensity is pronounced and the lasting long.

Conclusion

I have “tasted” hectoliters of this nectar in the last years, and its opulence still surprises me. It’s a cornucopia of ripe black fruits and spices that already at the first sip spoils our tasting buds! This Primitivo smells and tastes like Sunday lunch with family! I love it!

Final vote: 94

©2019 by Cosivino. Proudly created with Wix.com