Lucien Muzard & Fils - Santenay Maladiére 1er Cru 2016

Updated: Dec 2, 2019

Lucien Muzard & Fils

Santenay Maladiére 1er Cru 2016

Santenay, France


This nectar comes from Santenay, the most southern wine producing town in the Cote d’Or area of Burgundy. It is a 100% Pinot Noir from the Premier cur vineyard of Maladiére. Vines were planted in the 1950s and 1960s. The crop is manually harvested. The fermentation happened in large wooden vats (foudre), and then the divine juice ages for 14 months: 70% in oak barriques (228 liters) and the remaining 30% in 350 litres barrels. Santé!


Appearance

In the glass the wine has a brilliant ruby colour. The intensity is medium. The nectar is clear with no traces of deposits.


Nose

The aromas are pronounced. There are the classical notes of ripe red cherry and wild berries, with a light hint of stewed fruits. A balsamic touch of eucalyptus and a peppery flavour make the aromatic palette even more refreshing. As secondary aromas, I can identify an elegant cedar, a sharp charred wood, a bit of smoke and dark chocolate. The tertiary aromas are fine leather, masculine tobacco, the typical farmyard of the Pinot Noir and a succulent dry cranberry.


Palate

In the mouth, the wine is dry with a high level of acidity. The tannins are medium as well as the level of the alcohol (i.e. 13%). The wine is pleasantly silky on the palate with beautiful notes of strawberry that change into sour cherry four hours after the uncorking (yes sometimes I don’t drink the entire bottle in one go!)

Both flavour intensity and lasting are medium plus.


Conclusion

Nice and well-made Burgundy. The wine is lively and ready to drink now, even if a couple of years more of bottle aging would make it more complex and the evolution more charming.


Final vote: 91


Price: £21.4 on waitrose.com

©2019 by Cosivino. Proudly created with Wix.com