©2019 by Cosivino. Proudly created with Wix.com

Bollinger - La Grande Année 2007

Updated: Dec 1, 2019

Bollinger

La Grande Année 2007

Aÿ, France


Introduction

Given my unconditional love for the Special Cuvée, I was counting the days to uncork this Vintage. I bought the bottle a couple of years ago, but as I am greedy, I have left it sleeping in my cellar until now. Outside the sun is shining, the fig trees are full of fruits and I know that my sweet mum is killing a couple of lobsters in the kitchen. Is there any other better moment to uncork this jewel?!?


Wine making techniques

This nectar is a blend of Pinot Noir (70%) and Chardonnay (30%). 91% of them are classified as Grands crus and the remaining 9% as Premiers crus. They are vinified in small old oak barrels and then they age for more than twice the time required by the appellation. By law, vintage champagnes have to be matured for at least 36 months, including at least 12 months on the lees. While it ages, the bottle is sealed with a natural cork. The riddling (rémuage) and the disgorgement (dégorgement) are accomplished manually. My bottle was disgorged in December 2016. Santé!


Tasting

As per the Special Cuvée, also with La Grande Année you will be amazed by the colour of this nectar and by its elegant perlage. The aromatic palette is simply amazing, complex and rich. My nostrils have been kidnapped by the intensity of the hazelnuts and the fragrance of the dough. The opulence of the cream is offset by the sharpness of the white pepper and the refreshing minerality of the flint and wet stones. There are also hints of nectarine and tropical fruits with vibrant notes of citrus. On the palate, the tertiary aromas are superb; hazelnut again, but also hay, honey and some dried lemon.


Conclusion

It would works well with any kind of foods, but this nectar is so good, that I would (actually I did) enjoy it by its own. This champagne deserves all your attentions to be fully understood. So take a sit, uncork it and love it…. At least for the time, the lobsters are cooking.


Final vote: 95